Friday, February 11, 2011

THREE.~ First draft of application letter


Tan Si Jia Jacqueline
Blk XX XXXXXXXX Road
Singapore XXXXXX
+65 XXXXXXXX

7th February 2011

Rhodia Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
51 Science Park Road
#04-01, The Aries Singapore Science Park II
Singapore 117586

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Application for Student Internship Programme

I read with great interest of Rhodia’s career prospect on your company website. Rhodia offers top-notch career opportunities by acquiring the very best in innovation as well as provide a vibrant and fulfilling working environment for the Rhodia staff. I am very impressed by the challenging projects that Rhodia are launching right now. Hence, I would like to be of assistance in my area of expertise for your company as I believe I can apply what I have learnt from Junior College and University studies on the necessary skills you might require.

I graduated from Raffles Institution Junior College (RIJC) with a distinction in Higher-level 3 (H3) Pharmaceutical Chemistry and am currently studying in National University of Singapore (NUS), majoring in Pure Chemistry. In RIJC, I had been trained in skills and theories of pharmacology, drugs development, clinical trials and quality assurance. I believe these concepts will provide me with a strong background which will enhance my application towards the internship projects that you offered. Furthermore, my willingness to learn more complex and sophisticated procedures had broadened my knowledge as I continued to strive for greater achievement in the sciences. This was also the reason why I was selected for a science attachment trip to the University of Western Australia in December 2007. During this month-long trip, I was exposed to the essentials in plant biology and experimented with techniques like gel electrophoresis, allowing me to discover the future prospects a career in scientific research could bring. This trip enhanced my knowledge in theoretical and specialized skills which would otherwise not be taught in my course of study. I believed this became an add-on advantage towards my study in NUS, combining biomedical with chemistry, in which I will have a broader view of things.

In NUS, I am exposed to many aspects of Chemistry: Organic chemistry, Inorganic chemistry, Spectroscopy, Analytical Chemistry etc. With these different aspects of Chemistry, I am able to build a strong foundation of lab skills: working with Nuclear Magnetic resonance (NMR) machine, column chromatography, gas chromatography, Thin layer chromatography (TLC), ultraviolet-visible (UV-vis) spectroscopy, X-Ray Diffraction, mass spectrometer etc. I also possess the skill of performing various testing methods which include solubility, purity, viscosity tests, vacuum filtration, purification, crystallization, and polymerisation. In addition, NUS combines chemistry with computer IT; the HyperChem program, which allows me to study the 3-D nature of molecular shapes, vibrational and rotational modes, and bond lengths.

I am confident that my ability to work well with others and my initiative qualifies me to handle the responsibilities of the position. While studying at NUS, I handled many projects and lab reports at a given amount of time, hence disciplining me to work under tight deadlines. I always plan my time ahead and continually check my progress to make sure that I am on the right track. I believe this strength of mine will be helpful in the future if I have a chance to be a part of the Rhodia family, as this organizing skill increases the efficiency of work and ensure no delay of the delegated work. I am a well-organized, highly motivated individual who enjoys the challenges of working in a fast-paced work environment. My personal ability encompasses strong communication and computer skills, including a working knowledge of Windows 7 and Microsoft Word, Excel, power point, outlook as well as Adobe. Rhodia is a world leader in the development and production of specialty chemicals, providing added-value products and high-performance solutions to diversified markets through its 11 Global Business Units (GBUs). My experience, perseverance, and curiosity coupled with the passion and enthusiasm that I will bring to the job makes me the right person for the position you are looking to fill.

The enclosed resume is a brief description of my qualifications. I look forward to your reply with great anticipation. If there are any doubts, please do not hesitate to contact me at XXXXXXXX or e-mail me at XXXXXXXX@hotmail.com.

Yours faithfully,


Tan Si Jia Jacqueline

Enclosed: Resume, publication, transcript

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jac,

    Lots of grammar mistakes! Extremely tedious! Please submit the below to Brad instead, you would get 100 marks then! If you do otherwise, I cannot safeguard you!

    Consider this better edited one which are bracketed:

    I read with great interest of Rhodia’s career prospect(s) on your company('s) website. Rhodia offers top-notch career opportunities by acquiring the very best in innovation as well as provid(ing) a vibrant and fulfilling work(deleted) environment for (its) staff. I (was) very impressed by the challenging projects that Rhodia (launched). Hence, I would like to be of assistance in my area of expertise for your company as I believe I (could) apply what I have learnt from Junior College and University studies. (deleted))

    I graduated from Raffles Institution Junior College (RIJC) with a distinction in Higher-level 3 (H3) Pharmaceutical Chemistry and am currently studying in National University of Singapore (NUS), (with a major) in Pure Chemistry. In RIJC, I had been trained in skills and theories of pharmacology, drugs development, clinical trials and quality assurance. I believe(d) these concepts (would) provide me with a strong background which (would) enhance my application (deleted). Furthermore, my willingness to learn more complex and sophisticated procedures had broadened my knowledge as I continued to strive for greater achievement in the sciences. This was also the reason why I was selected for a science attachment trip to the University of Western Australia in December 2007. During this month-long trip, I was exposed to the essentials in plant biology and experimented with techniques like gel electrophoresis, allowing me to discover the future prospects a career in scientific research could bring. This trip enhanced my knowledge in theoretical and specialized skills which would otherwise not be taught in my course of study. I believed this became an add(ed)-on advantage towards my (course of) study in NUS. (deleted)

    In NUS, I (was) exposed to many aspects of Chemistry: Organic chemistry, Inorganic chemistry, Spectroscopy, Analytical Chemistry etc. With these different aspects of Chemistry, I (was) able to build a strong foundation of lab skills: working with Nuclear Magnetic resonance (NMR) machine, column chromatography, gas chromatography, Thin layer chromatography (TLC), ultraviolet-visible (UV-vis) spectroscopy, X-Ray Diffraction, mass spectrometer etc. I also possess(ed) the skill(s) of performing various testing methods which include solubility, purity, viscosity tests(;) vacuum filtration, purification, crystallization, and polymerisation. In addition, NUS combine(d) chemistry with computer IT(,) the HyperChem program, which allow(ed) me to study the 3-D nature of molecular shapes, vibrational and rotational modes, and bond lengths.


    I am confident that my ability to work well with others and my initiative (would qualify) me to handle the responsibilities of the position. While studying at NUS, I handled many projects and lab reports (in) a given (time frame), hence disciplin(ed) me to work under tight deadlines. I (would) always plan(ned) my time ahead and continually check(ed) my

    (continue below)

    ReplyDelete
  2. progress to make sure that I (was) on the right track. I believe(ed) this strength of mine (would) be helpful in the future if I (had) a chance to be a part of the Rhodia family, as (this would increase) the efficiency of work and ensure no delay(deleted). (Also,) I am a well-organized, highly motivated individual who enjoys the challenges of working in a fast-paced work environment. My personal ability (would) encompass strong communication and computer skills, including a working knowledge of Windows 7 and Microsoft Word, Excel, power point, outlook as well as Adobe. Rhodia is a world leader in the development and production of specialty chemicals, providing added-value products and high-performance solutions to diversified markets through its 11 Global Business Units (GBUs). My experience, perseverance, and curiosity coupled with the passion and enthusiasm that I will bring to the job (would make) me the right person for the position (deleted).


    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mark for the comments! I have edited my cover letter by using some of your advice but I have kept a small part unchanged in the present tense because I believe it is still relevant to the 'as of now' period. In fact, I am far from graduating so the stuff I am learning from NUS right now is still ongoing and will be happening along with this internship. Nonetheless, thanks for helping with the grammar mistakes!

    ReplyDelete